McKinley 1:1 Literacy Initiative
McKinley 1:1 Literacy Initiative provides a pilot model for our district to explore how to provide instruction and learning opportunities across all curriculum areas to promote powerful language and literacy, and skills of inquiry, collaboration and teamwork. Key components of this project include:
- Increasing student access to devices to help support oral language development, language production, and efficiency.
- Providing professional development to support teachers’ effective use of technology in classrooms.
- Providing technology training for parents to increase engagement with schools, including understanding how to help their students use technology in learning.
- Impacting family literacy, with a focus on addressing the digital divide through digital literacy and ready access.
A Chromebook for Every Student!
McKinley Institute of Technology (MIT) is pleased to participate in a 1:1 Literacy Initiative Grant from Startup Education. We have partnered with Digital Promise on a journey towards building confidence and lifelong learning for each student at MIT.
As a part of this 1:1 Literacy Initiative, each participating student (and therefore her or his family) receives a Chromebook to use at school and at home for the remainder of this school year. A Chromebook provides exciting opportunities for students and their families.
It Takes A Village
With the advent of the Internet, social media and 24x7 information access, ensuring our students have the skills to safely and effectively navigate the web in and out of school is a critical component of preparing them for their futures. Redwood City School District is committed to working together with parents to provide safe and informed access for our students.
To increase parent engagement with schools and family literacy, McKinley is providing:
- Monthly Principal Coffee Hour (Every 1st Tuesday of the month)
- Monthly Parent Technology Workshops on specific topics (Every 3rd Thursday of the month)
- Parent Workforce ESL Classes in partnership with Canada College